Your Right Move

Monitoring the current climate for UK home owners and renting property
Follow YourRightMove on Twitter

Choosing the right tradesmen

How to choose the right tradesmen for home improvements – and check your home insurance to know where you stand

So, you’ve taken the plunge and decided to do some work on your home. There are many things you can do yourself, but others where you may well need the help of tradesmen. And don’t forget that before doing any work on your home, you really should consider whether it has any implications on your home insurance policy.

You’ve probably heard stories of home improvements gone wrong – everything from dodgy electrics to duff plumping. If you’re bringing in tradesmen, make sure they have their own insurance policy to cover your home and possessions in case anything goes wrong.

Tried and tested

If you’re using tradesmen, choosing the right one can be the difference between a good and bad job. To begin with, always make sure you employ reputable and qualified plumbers, electricians and gas fitters – ask your friends and family if they can recommend a local tradesman or company. The same goes with other trades as well, such as plasterers, carpenters and so on. There’s no better recommendation than word of mouth.

Check that they are registered with a recognised governing body too – and that they have their own insurance for any work they carry out. That way, if they have a mishap and damage your home or possessions, it will help to give you peace of mind that they will take responsibility and handle it professionally.


For all the little jobs that you can do yourself, like painting the walls or putting up some shelves, you should also look at your home insurance policy to see where you stand. You may like to get some home insurance quotes online to see what’s on offer.

Some home insurance policies will cover you for DIY mishaps as standard but you may have to pay extra to have accidental damage cover. The only real way you can be sure is to check your policy before you start work. That way you can get on with the work without worrying about the implications on your home insurance policy.

Whatever you do to your home, make sure you use tradesmen who are qualified and professional – and are properly covered to work in your home.

Whether you’re doing work to your home or not, it’s always sensible to have good home insurance in place. Halifax offers both home and contents insurance together. Visit Halifax’s website to find a great deal today.

posted by Zane in Guide and have No Comments

Place your comment

Please fill your data and comment below.
Your comment